Monday, March 21, 2022

Kenneth Patchen, from PANELS FOR THE WALLS OF HEAVEN

 The first of the Panels for the Walls of Heaven, published by Bern Porter in 1946, ends:


                                                                                                                                                                                      You,--

The meaning is in the wonder,

Towns and seas and all poor devils everywhere. In no way is life ever changed.

Through acceptance of the mystery, peace.

And only through peace can come acceptance of the mystery.

We are not open. The glory can not come in. How soon after our best things is the taste bitter again.

As of this earth and what I am on this earth – I fiercely wish to protect the things I love.

They fill my eyes with tears – the things I love.

Suppose they are nothing – They are all I have.


In Quest of Candlelighters, New Directions, 1972 pp. 8-9.

No comments:

Post a Comment